tisdag 25 mars 2008

The olympic ideals

The Chinese regime keeps repeating that the olympic ideals have nothing to do with human rights. I find this point of view incredibly ignorant. It's enough to read The Olympic Charter to understand exactly how false such a statement is:

Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.
In Sweden I often get to hear that sports and politics should not be mixed. If I were an olympic athlete I would find this statement insulting. What are they? Sport robots for the pleasure of the masses? A propaganda tool?

My grandmother participated in the Berlin Olympic games 1936. She wrote in her diary that she and her Swedish country men refused to greet Hitler with the Nazi salute during the inauguration at the Berlin Olympiastadion.

Sports and politics have EVERYTHING to do with eachother.

Inga kommentarer: